I plan to compete in half and full Ironman races in 2012 as a professional. It will be a true challenge to balance my professional triathlon career and working as a veterinary ophthalmologist which I also love. I will be honored to compete alongside the best female triathletes in the world! Any profits I make as a professional triathlete will be donated to an account at the University of Missouri called “Jodie’s Eye Fund” which supports vision science research in humans and animals and provides qualified veterinary patients with vision saving medical procedures and care.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Whale of a time in Wales!!


This race was my primary race focus for the summer, I had worked hard and 2 weeks before Joe had me do my usual taper.  Tapering for an Ironman is much longer than the usual taper for short distance races.  What this usually translates to is me having a lot of extra energy because I’m not exercising as much as I’m used to.  Can you say house projects!?!  Steve just rolls his eyes and says “here we go again.”  Well thanks to Ironman Wales, I painted our bike “stable” and completely reorganized it.  Yes, we have a bike “stable” and no garage, it is all about priority J

I flew into Bristol airport, on the descent you could see all the little hedgerows with herds of sheep, England is just so CUTE!  It was a long flight, compared to what I am used to and I was so tired.  Seeing my parents perked me up, we headed to Tenby by van, lots of room for the bike box and all our stuff.  Kudos to my dad for kicking ass driving down the left side of the road through the twisting streets of the British countryside in the huge van while my mum and I ate liquorish and looked at all the beautiful scenery!

We arrived at our base for the next few days, Celtic Haven in Tenby.  Really cute little cabins with a small kitchen and several bedrooms, right on the Ironman bike course and very close to town.  My parents are the best for finding such a great location to stay!!  We headed into town to peruse the grocery store.  Nothing is better entertainment for me than a foreign grocery store.  I can spend hours checking everything out!  We scored some crumpets, lemon curd and clotted cream and some good healthy stuff for race morning and the lead up.  I must say, clotted cream is the best stuff ever and I was so impressed with all the locally produced inventory at the grocery store, North America could really learn something from the UK in this respect!



I got in some practice swim, bike and run sessions.  The swim in particular was good to practice as it was in the ocean and was pretty cold, temps in the high 50s F.  I was glad to get used to the water and realized it really felt better after a good warmup swim.  LOVE my TYR wetsuit too!!!



I don’t always worry about driving the bike course but this one was known to be challenging so we drove it the day prior in the van.  The hills were ridiculous, I realized this was going to be quite an epic ride, with over 7000 feet of climbing.  There were two cat 4 climbs (15-19% grade) within a few miles of each other at the end of the first and second loops (we were to do them 2 times each and at the end of the race when I would be tired).  I knew the crowd support would be great though; the hills were famous and everyone knew they would be great to watch from.  I racked my Valdora and they gave us rain covers for the bikes; only in the UK!



Race morning was dry and cool.  We had to walk a kilometer to the swim start and would have to run back after the swim so we had a second set of shoes they allowed us to place at the swim finish for this purpose.  They started the pros only a few feet in front of the large field of amateurs, I knew this would mean a rough swim but I would have the advantage of a draft of a large group of swimmers instead of only a small field of really fast pros, so it was an advantage for me!  Off we went and I braved the first 5 minutes of cold water and began to warm nicely as I worked through the swim.  I felt comfortable but was still swimming hard, I came out of the water feeling fresher than I thought I should (I had swam 55 minutes – a huge personal best!).  I was thrilled to see several bikes still on the pro women’s rack.  I was still in this race and not dead last after the swim!  I had started working with a local swim coach about 6 weeks ago it was the best decision I made this year.  Contact me if you want his info, he is great!!



I got on my bike and could see several pro women around me, I decided to go for it and take some risks on the bike by driving up my wattage early in the race.  Joe said this was something I needed to be brave about this year!  The course was challenging but just breathtakingly beautiful.  I do admit to chatting with a local pro women about how awesome the scenery was as we rode along!  The crowd support in all the towns we passed through was great, and then came the hills and the crazy twisting descents.  I tried not to let visions of my beloved job, husband and furry children flash through my mind on the hairy descents but I know I was a bit of a sissy, a couple girls passed me.  I hammered up the hills like a mad woman though.  The two crazy hills at the end of the loops were fun, just getting up them without eating shit was heroic.  My parents said 300 people fell of their bikes on one of the hills, sort of hilarious, as long as I wasn’t one of them J  The bike took me just over 6 hours, almost 1 hour longer than any other bike course in an Ironman had taken me, but my wattage was the best I had ever done so I was happy with the effort.  The Hed Jet 5 Express wheels I chose for the trip were perfect, I felt very safe in the strong winds on the course and they climbed flawlessly.  A great wheel set if you are looking for something racy, light and cost-effective!



It started to rain as I finished the bike and started the run.  I could feel how much the hard bike had taken out of me and I tried to hang on for the first half of the run to my goal pace.  I was having GI problems for the first time.  Ok folks, if you can’t handle poop talk you should bail now!!  As a vet this is dinner time conversation for me J  Halfway through the run I definitely had to poop, stopped at the loo and only could manage some cute little princess farts (sorry, told you to bail a few sentences ago).  I was pretty annoyed that I had wasted 30s on the jon for a benign fart issue so the next time I felt a similar urge (about 1 mile to go to finish) I thought here comes a nice little fart again…..aaaaannnd then I sharted.  Luckily it wasn't a huge volume and yes, it is funny now that my shorts are thoroughly sterilized and decontaminated.  My mum was mortified, she figured she was done dealing with this kind of shit about 33 years ago J  I still had a decent time on the run though, despite the poo drama!  I placed 6th in the women's pro field and got my first paycheck as a professional triathlete!





After the race my parents and I stayed in Bristol for a few days.  We had a great time touring the surrounding area and sampling the local pub fare.   The day following the race we went to Bath and enjoyed the hot springs (good recovery).  We also saw Stonehenge which was absolutely incredible.  Thanks to my amazing parents for being the best Ironman sag ever and for making the trip a great holiday to remember together!





No comments:

Post a Comment